- Why Technicon?
- How much will my new system cost?
- Are there "hidden" costs?
- What issues should I watch out for?
- How long will it take to deploy my system?
- What should I expect from my new system?
Technicon offers products that are unique and best-in-class in three areas:
- CustomCommerce: Simplest-to-use systems with the best guided sales and demand-shaping experience
- ContentStudio: The best web-based platform for non-technical, business users to manage their products and system
- VizNet: An intuitive Web-based and object-oriented graphical user interface for specifying and visualizing products and product layouts
Beyond that, sales systems are our vocation. Our mission is to deliver the best online sales systems for the industries that we serve and our customers are our best sales-people.
How much will my new system cost?
The cost to deploy a new product catalog or configurator can vary considerably. For example, there can be a wide range in product complexity. Some companies deal with simple SKU-based products. Other companies work with complex assemblies and offer special customizations.
User interfaces can also vary widely in complexity. Are some users presented pricing while other users are not presented pricing? Will dynamic product visualization (e.g. renderings or 3D models) be part of the user interface?
How much documentation will be generated? Systems can output a simple product sheet or generate dozens of complex documents, including quotes, equipment schedules and drawings. Will the system need to integrate with existing CRM and ERP systems?
Despite this complexity, we can typically provide budgetary estimates with a minimum of effort. Generally, we would request a phone call with an individual who is familiar with your products and system requirements.
If you have either a written description or RFP, that will help as well. Should you like, we can prepare a written system description for you. If you have very complex requirements that are difficult to specify in one call, we will try to let you know immediately.
Are there "hidden" costs?
We keep estimates comprehensive and proposals simple. To this end, we endeavor to identify every cost that we can in our proposals, including:
- Initial deployment costs including professional services, training and license fees
- Any annual or ongoing support fees that may be required
- Infrastructure costs such as hosting fees or equipment outlays, and
- The time and resources that will be required from your staff.
Simply put, if we were an airline, there would no hidden charges for bags or seat selection.
What issues should I watch out for?
When evaluating vendors and system costs, there are two key factors to consider.
First, watch out before selecting system providers based solely on price. Early on, it can be difficult to specify system requirements in detail. Credible vendors are likely to be similar in price, with differences mainly due to varying interpretations of your requirements.
"Generalist" developers often provide estimates that are lower than experienced vendors. Typically, this is because functionality is overlooked or perceived to be simpler than it is. The result is systems almost guaranteed to be more expensive and take longer than anticipated.
Another factor to consider is the time and effort that will be required of your staff. Your individuals may be needed to provide or load product data and rules in the system. Your staff will have to test the system before deploying it to users.
You need to quantify this level of effort up-front to avoid delays caused by resources not being available. Technicon eliminates surprises by creating project model documents that serve as detailed blueprints for your system. It's the first thing we do and it's included in our estimate.
How long will it take to deploy my system?
While systems can vary widely in complexity, most systems take 3 - 6 months to deploy. First weeks are spent re-confirming requirements, modeling product data and finalizing system page designs. See the Implementation Methodology page on this site for more information.
Many factors affect the length of a deployment. For example:
- Will the system support specification of complex assemblies?
- Will product visualization be part of the user interface (e.g. renderings or 3D models)?
- Will the system generate quote and proposal packages or drawings?
- Will the system need to integrate with existing CRM and ERP systems?
- Does your organization have the resources ready to provide data, feedback and sign-offs in a timely manner?
Despite the number of factors involved, we can typically provide initial schedule and budgetary estimates after a phone call with an individual who is familiar with your products and system requirements.
What should I expect from my new system?
Please see the Benefits page on this site for real-world examples of how Technicon’s systems have delivered returns on our customers' investments.
Self-service systems allow your customers to specify and order products when and where they want. Graphical and highly-interactive user interfaces engage system users, turning them into loyal customers.
Systems for sales reps streamline the sales process and allow your reps to concentrate on the most profitable projects. Systems that generate documents and drawings for quotes and proposals offload your sales support and engineering staff.
Having clear objectives for your system is key to its success. Technicon works with you early in the engagement to define what success means for your organization and sales system.